Tuesday, July 24, 2018

SUMMER IS A SOUL SUCKING SCOURGE















In honor of one of Phoenix's hottest days of the year:

                                       
I want to go out. But I don’t want to
leave my air-conditioned cave.
I am bored, but don’t want to move
into suffocating white light
that emerges too early from insufficient night.
It burns. BURNS!

White blinding sun. Acid light.
Heat withers my soul and every living form
that struggles to exist. Plants shrivel.
Errands can wait because existence is meaningless.
I feel weak and listless.

My mood sinks lower and lower
into deep wells of despair. Energy dripping out;
paralyzing inertia.
I take a nap.

 Sleepless night. A.C. anxiety.
Will it fail? The thin veneer of
civilization dissolving into sweat laden misery?
Tentacles of dread.

Fatigue permeates my pores.
Furnace blast air.
Heat beats resistence. Strength melts.

I drag myself out reluctantly. It can’t win.
I have to go run.

Probably reading a little low.


1 comment: