Sunday, September 5, 2010

I Pulled the Trigger

I signed up for Ironman Canada on August 30, the day after the race. This race will bring challenges that Ironman Arizona doesn't have. It's out of the country, a five hour drive from Vancouver or Tacoma, the weather is unpredictable and the bike leg is much tougher. I am going alone, so I will have no support. I have to get my bike there, which is a pain in the butt. But the scenery is supposed to be beautiful and the crowd support is excellent. I will probably be fighting the cut-offs again and possibly hypothermia if it rains. It's expensive and getting a hotel room was immensely difficult since they all seem to have been booked up the day after the race.

But somehow it makes me happy. I have a race that I am excited about and a goal to work towards. The fear of not finishing will probably make me work harder in training and I might find strengths that I didn't know I had. That's the siren lure of Ironman, when you go beyond what you ever thought possible, against difficult odds, through sheer mental power. It takes away a lot, but it gives back more.

2 comments:

  1. It takes a lot, but it gives back more...well said. I think investing in ourselves, toward a goal of possibly an uncertain outcome,brings out ...like you said..Strengths you didn't know you had. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I look forward to reading your posts. Your will and desire have helped motivate me!

    ReplyDelete